2503ICT: Summary introduction to the course
The purpose of the course is to introduce you to some standard Web
technologies and teach you to build nontrivial, database-backed,
interactive, Web applications.
Design of Web applications
- Understand and respect your users
- Allow users to communicate with each other and with you, and to
- Database design is essential
- Interaction design is essential
- User interface design is important
Implementation of Web applications
TCP/IP (Internet), HTTP (communication protocol),
page behaviour), Apache (Web server), PHP (application logic), Smarty
template language (application presentation), SQL (database query
language), MySQL (database mangement system), XML (data representation).
Database design, application design, programming, software engineering.
Mode of delivery
This is an on-campus course with a supporting Web site:
- Learning relevant standards
- Learning relevant technologies
- Learning relevant methodologies
- Learning relevant design techniques
- Learning relevant implementation techniques
- Learning relevant software engineering techniques
- Attend lectures
- Attend laboratory classes
- Engage in private study
- Ten (10) hours per week, from week 1
- Learn to study independently
- Weekly laboratory exercises, worth 20% in total.
- Two individual practical assignments, worth 25% each.
- Final examination, worth 30%.
- Must pass the laboratory exercises and assignments (overall) and the
examination to pass the course.
We try to make this an interesting and practical course.
But designing and implementing Web applications is difficult.
It is thus necessary to work hard throughout the semester.
Last updated: $Date: 2013/03/07 01:21:53 $, by Rodney Topor